Thursday, March 18, 2010

Two Recipes and a Picky Eater

Last week we had a party to go to and I was supposed to bring a "casserole." I made Delmonico Potatoes just like my Mom used to make them, they are one of my favorite things!

You will need:

DSC_2836

8-9 baking potatoes (a few less if they are HUGE like the ones I used, I think I only used 5)
8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 pint whipping cream
1 C milk
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp dry mustard
paprika
butter

Boil potatoes with skins on until done (the skins will start falling off when they are nice and done.)

DSC_2840

Peel and let cool.

DSC_2842

Shred them into a buttered 9x13 dish. (I am sure that a bag of hashbrowns would work the same and would allow you to skip over these first three steps!)

DSC_2846

Heat the cheddar, whipping cream, milk, salt and dry mustard on the stove until smooth.

DSC_2838

Pour cheese mixture over the potatoes. Sprinkle with paprika and dot with butter.

DSC_2850

The recipe says to refrigerate overnight and remove one hour before baking, but I always skip that step and they seem to turn out fine! Bake at 325 for 1 hour uncovered.

DSC_2851

This next "recipe" can't really be considered a full-fleged recipe. It's only two ingredients that make for a very tasty lunch.
All you need is this

DSC_3041

and some of this

DSC_3042

Lunch is served! It's a very sweet dressing and it really can be eaten on a salad all by itself! (If you want to get a little fancier with it I would suggest adding strawberries and pecans too!)

DSC_3043

Now, about my picky eater. I take full responsibility for allowing this little munchkin to become quite the picky eater.

DSC_2863

When he started eating baby food if he wrinkled his nose and turned away I just moved on to something he did like because I didn't feel up to a fight. (I was lazy! I admit it!) Well a few weeks ago I realized what a limited diet he had and knew it was time to make some changes. Also, he is almost a year old and I am ready to be done feeding baby food! So after a few miserable feeding times that could be titled, "Mommy vs. J-Man - Battle of the Wills" I am glad to say that he is becoming quite the self-fed-variety-eating baby!

DSC_2860

We still have a ways to go before I can say "He will eat anything I put in front of him," but we are getting there!

DSC_2857

I have it admit that it was worth the struggle for a couple days to now have a happy, eating baby! Now we just have to work on being a "tidy eater!" Haha!

DSC_2867

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow! Those look great! I am going to try them maybe this weekend! Thanks for sharing! Can't wait to try them out!

    Have a great Thursday!

    ReplyDelete