Yes, I was voted Best Dressed my senior year of high school, certainly that must make me a certified guru...right? Think again. Since having children I feel like I am clinging to whatever smidgen of "style" I have left. I no longer have the money or the time to pour over style magazines, so here are the "tips" I have used to get me through the transitions of pregnancy, motherhood and the in-betweens!
1. LAYER - If something is too low-cut, too short, or just too plain then layer it with a tank top or lace-trimmed cami for a little versatility. I layer everything; tee-shirts, button-ups, sweaters, cardigans, everything.
2. Own a jean jacket - Let me preface this by saying I do NOT wear my jean jacket with JEANS. I have 3 jean jackets, I wear them over dresses, with skirts, with bermuda shorts, it's the perfect way to keep warm and still be cute.
3. If you like something, try it - I am all about trying something trendy. I wore (fake) Uggs with mini-skirts, ponchos and flowers in my hair in high school because that was what I saw in the magazines....and I totally got made fun of, but I didn't care because I liked it!
4. Own something girly - There are times when you want to feel dressed up in jeans and it's always good to have a sparkly, frilly, metallic or flirty top to dress up a plain pair of jeans.
5. Accessories, accessories, accessories - As a mommy there are days that I just do not want to wear anything but shorts and a tank top, but you can bet that I will at least have a big ol' pair of dangly earrings on. In the winter I will wear a solid color tee with a scarf to make it more exciting. Accessories are the best way to take an outfit from one trend period to another. I love fashion jewelry because you can find it cheap, which is great because in two weeks it will be out of style anyways ;-)
6. Sport a bright smile - Any outfit looks better with pearly whites! (Yes, I realize I sound like a commercial right now!) I started using Crest White Strips in high school and one box made a HUGE difference, I still use about one box a year. Remember, you're never fully dressed without a SMILE! (Insert cheesy grin here)